Wednesday, December 30, 2015

I miss Castlevania...

Let me start off this post by saying that, Castlevania has had a huge influence in my gaming life.



And I'm not talking about that last 3D trilogy that MercurySteam made. That one felt devoid of anything that I grew up to be as "Castlevania".

I'm talking about IGAvanias. The one that began with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.



There is something that just clicks with me and Castlevania games. The controls feel right. The level progression feels right. The music sounds great and memorable. And you feel like a badass everytime you play.

I miss the times when I would wait yearly for the next installment of the Castlevania series. Unlike most games where the sequels continue right where the story left, Castlevania jumps between many different time periods. One game would have you battling Dracula in the 18th century, and then the next game would have you going back in time to learn the history of your previous hero's great grand parent who also previously defeated Dracula, then it's sequel would jump way into the future where you actually control the reincarnation of Dracula himself!


There's just something so magical and addicting about waiting for the next release of Castlevania games. It feels like every release is a piece to a big puzzle which is the entire Castlevania timeline, that players like us unlock and give a sense of scope to the epic story of Castlevania as a whole.

Click image to view full-size
I miss Castlevania... I hope IGA's new game; Bloodstained, will be everything I hoped a new Castlevania would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment