Thursday, June 26, 2014

My Sub-Zero cosplay debut @ ToyCon 2014!!

It's been a long time coming, and it finally happened. I finally cosplayed as my favorite ice-wielding Lin Kuei ninja; Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat last weekend at ToyCon Philippines 2014!! :D


What started off as a crazy "what-if" idea, became a passion project of mine, which would go under a great deal of planning, having the suit made, and physical preparation to look the part. Just to give you guys an idea of how much I had to bulk up before I cosplayed, here's me before I cosplayed as Sub:



This was me back in 2010 (which was 4 years ago). As you can imagine, I'm just a typical gamer geek who can only hope to cosplay Sub-Zero decently back then. :( Not only do I not look fit (or convincing enough to be a Kombatant for that matter), but even my arms are so thin and small:


So cosplaying as Sub-Zero then was out of the question. Add in the fact that I'm an introverted guy (which alot of people don't seem to believe nowadays), I can only WISH I could cosplay. However, a childhood friend of mine, along with other amazing people I met, inspired me to slowly start my journey into cosplaying. And thus started my secret personal project: to cosplay as Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat.

It started out quite hilariously. I just went all low-cost cosplay as a start.


But this little thing, sparked an interest in me to finally jump in and start taking cosplay a little bit more seriously than before. And so I went online and jumped into a couple of local Philippine cosplay communities and lucky enough for me, someone was nice enough to teach me the ropes and introduce me to a couple of key individuals who would soon help me in realising my dream of cosplaying as Sub-Zero. She would later become a good friend of mine; Louie of Hello Knightmare by Louie, is also responsible for the amazing Masterswords we sold last ToyCon on our booth.

And so, I slowly upgraded my Sub-Zero cosplay costume, by starting off with his mask. And for that I enlisted the help of Nimoy from Kamen Rider Custom Mask. He was highly recommended for his amazing work in making replica Power Ranger helms, and so I took the chance by having him make the mask, and lemme tell you I wasn't disappointed at all with the result.





I loved everything about the mask, from the quality of the sculpt, to the level of detail in that thing. And so, after having the mask made, I had my suit made next. And there's only one person that my friend recommended for their level of detail and amazing work with Spiderman costumes; Kino Kaoru.

Now this one took awhile, as there we're tons of people lining up to have their costumes made by the awesome team of Kino Kaoru and his wife, so I waited for quite sometime for this to be made. While waiting I went for another low-cost cosplay alternative for the suit (thanks to some online tutorial)



I also took the time to prepare myself physically and bulk up. Thanks to my cousin (who is a body-builder and moonlights as a bouncer at a club), I got myself bigger (although I got my waist a little bit too big for comfort), and my arms definitely improved. 



As for the suit itself, it may have taken sometime for my suit to be finished, but the result was well-worth the wait:



And as soon as I got the suit, the first thing I did was have my photographer friend; Edwin Francisco, come over and start taking photos of me wearing the suit. We did our photoshoot indoors, as I was unfortunately suffering from fever then, but the results were definitely awesome to say the least:





You can read more about our photoshoot on his blog Capture Clicks.

And the big day finally arrived; ToyCon. I was actually an exhibitor then, but I was contemplating whether or not I'd go cosplay on the final day, as I was still sick with fever. My significant other suggested I try anyway, as it is just one day anyway. And so I went ahead and cosplayed on the last day of ToyCon 2014.

And it couldn't have been any better, as I got reunited with a childhood friend of mine, who also happens to be into cosplaying. He is also one of my inspirations as to why I got into cosplay in the first place; Mr. Dan Geromo, who is famous locally in the Philippines as SpiderDan for his awesome Spider-man cosplays!! :D



I also got to meet fellow Mortal Kombat cosplayers, who also attended ToyCon!! I even met a fellow Sub-Zero cosplayer too!!

photo taken from Arkadymac.com
I ended up having lots of fun with both fans, and fellow cosplayers at the event. It was definitely an experience for me. :D












Kinda sucks I didn't bring a camera with me, I would love to have taken selfies with fellow cosplayers!! :D It was definitely an experience for me, and I'm so glad to be finally cosplayed myself. Thank you so much to everyone who made this dream of mine possible namely; Nimoy of Kamen Rider Custom Mask, Kino Kaoru, Hello Knightmare by Louie and Edwin Francisco of Capture Clicks. A special shout-out as well to my significant other who supported me with this crazy project of mine all the way thru, you helped me realize my dream. It was an amazing journey and one that I intend to continue for as long as I can. :D Till the next cosplay convention!! :D

6 comments:

  1. Hello po! Nice to see your pics from last weekend. Dunno if I saw you but too bad really I didn't have a pic of you that day (but I did of the other guy who went as your character).

    If it's fine, you could check out my post about the event @ http://ametromanilaguy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!! Don't worry, as I plan on cosplaying as Sub-Zero for quite sometime. :) I just want to focus and improve my cosplay of the character. :) Hope to see you in one of the cons in the future!! :D

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Jonas!! :D Took me quite some time before I finally had everything done, and I'm very happy to have cosplayed Sub. :D Hopefully I did the character justice. :D

      Delete
  3. Hi, I'm the guy who bought the MK shirt and we took a photo together. Also, you may not remember me, but I was one of the DLSU GameLab students who worked with you guys at Komikasi for that Juan Luna game back in 2010. I was mind blown to find out that it was you. Great Sub-Zero cosplay, man. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raphael!! I think I do remember someone getting that MK shirt, as there was only a few who bought that shirt. :D However, what a nice coincidence to know that you also knew me and my previous company I worked for. :D Ah yeah the Juan Luna game... that project never materialized and I doubt it ever will as Komikasi last I hear has closed shop. Almost everybody left and has pursued other ventures already or worked in other gaming companies. I was sad to hear that, as I resigned from the company 6 months before it closed down.

      As for my Sub-Zero cosplay, this mini project of mine started wayyyy back, and took small steps in secret. As you read in the post above, I started as far back as 2010, gaining weight and working out in the gym, to having my costume done. But the end result was way worth it, seeing fans and children loving it. :D Don't worry, you'll still be seeing me around most major cosplay conventions as Sub-Zero, as I plan on focusing on improving my cosplay of him. :)

      Delete