Saturday, August 21, 2010

Upgrades…

Oh man I missed blogging… It feels soooo good to be back. XD
Hey everyone!! It’s been pretty busy these past few days, and I haven’t updated my blog for quite sometime. I’ve wanted to but I’m either too tired or too busy. Thank goodness for weekends. XD
Anyway, as my blog post title says, I’ve been going thru significant upgrades recently. My current job is definitely a huge upgrade over my old one. I’m pretty much doing managerial level work nowadays. And since I do managerial work, even my everyday work outfit got upgraded. I have to wear formal suits and stuff to look presentable to clients and stuff. Man I kinda missed going to work wearing jeans and t-shirts. Now the only thing left for me to upgrade? My phone.
nokia-5130-e-1This is my current phone. The ever-reliable Nokia 5130 XpressMusic.
Back then, I only had a few notable needs for my phone:
  • Very good MP3 player
  • Has a camera
  • Simple yet intuitive interface
  • Decent battery life
And with those in mind, and after countless months of research, I finally nailed what I was looking for in Nokia 5130 XpressMusic. And after a year of owning it, I can say I’m impressed. It’s definitely reliable, durable and doesn’t fail me particularly in the music department. But now, my needs have changed, I decided its time for me to get a new phone.
Currently, I need the following features for my phone:
  • Support for 3.5mm audio jack and decent MP3 player
  • 5 Megapixel camera with flash
  • WiFi enabled phone
  • Internet browser with flash support
  • Email client
  • IM functionality
  • QWERTY keyboard
  • Durable build
  • Affordable price tag
  • Office functionality/viewer
During my research, I have currently narrowed down my choices to 2 phones. The Nokia C6 and the Nokia E63
gsmarena_004First on my list is the Nokia C6. This one is relatively new and is currently priced at around PhP 13,000.00 - 15,800.00 Here’s the lowdown with the Nokia C6:
  • 3.2" 16M-color resistive touchscreen of 640 x 360 pixel resolution
  • Slide-out four-row full QWERTY keyboard
  • Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE
  • Tri-band 3G with 3.6Mbps HSDPA support
  • 5 megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash and VGA@30fps video recording
  • Wi-Fi and stereo Bluetooth v2.1
  • GPS with A-GPS and free lifetime voice-guided navigation license
  • microSD card (16 GB supported, 2GB included)
  • Built-in accelerometer for display auto-rotation, turn-to-mute
  • 3.5 mm audio jack
  • Web browser has full Flash support
  • Good audio quality
  • Office document viewer
The Nokia C6 has all of my needs covered, however my concern is the hefty price tag, as well as the fact that its a sliding QWERTY phone. I never owned phones with slide features due to the fact that I wanted my phones to be durable and not have any moving parts in them. That’s why I have my second option the Nokia E63:
gsmarena_003
The Nokia E63 has been around in the market for about a year or two, and it currently costs at around PhP 8,500.00-10,300.00. The unit has been proven to be very reliable and good. Here’s the lowdown of specs of the Nokia E63:
  • 3G support
  • Landscape 2.36" 16M-color display of QVGA resolution
  • Wi-Fi
  • 2 megapixel fixed focus camera with LED flash
  • Standard 3.5mm audio jack
  • Bluetooth v2.0 with A2DP support
  • Comfortable full QWERTY keypad
  • Convenient shortcut key
  • Office document editor
  • Nokia Maps
  • Great battery life
  • Web browser with limited flash support
It almost gets everything right, except ofcourse for the 2megapixel camera, as well as the web browser. What I did like about it though its using a very solid form factor and doesn’t have any moving parts. The battery life is also a great bonus as well since I love my phone to last for more than a few days.
Sigh…. who knew upgrading a phone would be so damn difficult?

No comments:

Post a Comment